by Paula Owens, MS
After the holidays thousands of people make New Year’s resolutions. Included at the top of this list is getting healthier, fitter and losing weight. The majority of people who make New Year’s resolutions give up on their goals within 4-6 weeks.
Instead of a New Year’s Resolution, jump on board with the Fat Loss Revolution to experience optimal health and permanent fat loss. To experience any goal, including optimal health and permanent fat loss, it starts with a shift in your mindset.
10 Mindset Solutions
- Start with your value system. Write down your top values. A few of my top values are God, myself, family and my Rottweiler, Teddy Bear, a healthy lifestyle, my business/work, friends, helping others and community. Is health one of your top values? Prioritizing your values opens the door to transformation and lasting change.
- Keep a journal and write down your goals and intentions. Review them daily. The act of writing and journaling is very powerful in creating a positive outcome for long-term success. Studies show an 80 percent success rate for those who follow through and write down their goals. Be intentional.
- Start with two simple, healthy changes each week and add two more each and every week. This is the concept in my first book, The Power of 4. Ultimately, small changes over time are very profound and doable without creating overwhelm. See your transformation as progress – a journey vs. perfection.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people who support your healthy lifestyle. Share your goals with family and friends. Fat loss is contagious!
- Do not go on a quick-fix diet. Avoid dieting at all costs, which causes a damaged metabolism, hormone disruption and extra weight once the dieting ends. Instead eat real food including protein, plenty of fiber from leafy greens and vegetables, healthy fats, filtered water and green tea.
- Realize that you cannot exercise your way out of a bad diet. End the thought process of health and fat loss as quick-fix, short-term goals and adapt a lifestyle mindset to create health, vitality, longevity and fat loss.
- Become conscious about the importance of other principles aside from intelligent exercise and a nutrient-rich diet to experience optimal health and permanent fat loss. These include hormone balance, sleep, stress management, eliminating foods your body is sensitive to, detoxification and toxins in food and the environment.
- Be prepared. Have a plan. Use the 12-week check list found in Fat Loss Revolution.
- Set up your environment at home and work to minimize temptation. Remove unhealthy food from your home and have healthy food choices and snacks readily available.
- Take it one day at a time. Value and focus on the positive progress you have already made along your journey toward health. Realize that setbacks may occur. Resume your intention and focus on getting right back on track. Believe in yourself!